Saturday, September 16, 2006

Azalea

The pattern for this azalea and bud comes from Flower Beading: French Technique Book IV by Bobbe Anderson. The book is unfortunately out of print as it was copyrighted in 1970. I was rather surprised at the difference in pattern instruction quality as compared to today's books. (This was my first "vintage" book). The patterns are text only, accompanied by a black and white photo of the finished flower. The inside of the front and the back cover of the book, however, feature colored examples of many of the flowers.
I chose to do the azalea because its design is very unique. To make the final row of the basic petals, beads that are slightly larger are alternated with the ones that have been used to make the rest of the petal. "On the last 2 rows of the petal [you are to] alternate 9/0 or 8/0 beads with 11/0 beads, 1 and 1". I was using size 10 (Czech) beads, so I chose to alternate with size 6. As I was making each petal, though, I didn't realize how big the overall flower would be since I do not have a lot of experience. I was quite surprised when I finally had it all put together! I tried to ruffle the petals by bending, but it really looks more like a large rose or hibiscus than an azalea. I think this size difference was due to the fact that I used larger beads. Overall, though, I do think that the flower turned out well and I really enjoyed making this flower. The alternating technique would probably be a great way make strawberry leaves look more realistic.

1 comment:

Ro said...

I like to say all of your work in your site is stunning. I wish I could get a book that shows the direction . I am not one for the reading part. I love each and every item you have displayed on your site.