Sunday, April 23, 2006

Lacing

Here is another lovely project from The Art of French Beaded Flowers by Carol Benner Doelp: the Floating Gardenia. This took quite a long time to make, particularly because I've never undertaken making so many petals before. It looks nice, but I feel like it required a little too much work. This is the first time also, that I tried lacing ("sewing" the rows of the leaf or petal together). At first I thought that it wasn't very important, but I gave it a try anyway. Well, it really makes a difference! Putting in just a little extra work has really changed how the overall product looks. I decided to try several lacing in several places on the leaf. I have pictures of both the front and the back of all five leaves. The last leaf was laced as it was made, not afterwards like the others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your "Floating Gardenia" turned out very nice. I have Doelp's book, too, but I have not tried the Gardenia yet. I can imagine that it takes long to make it. I saw that you have Hobby Models 1 and 8. I am desperately looking for them since there must be patterns for beaded trees.(?) I am from Germany so I do not know if I am able to obtain them. But if you could tell me in which book beaded trees are described that would be helpful for me. :)

Unknown said...

It is absolutly amazing what a little bit of lacing can do. I test my pattern designs on one of my friends and she used to think I was crazy for the amount of lacing I made her do...but I converted her.