Sunday, September 24, 2006

Peyote Tulip

A while ago I decided that I wanted to make a peyote flower, but I didn't have a particular flower in mind. Then a friend suggested that I make a tulip. A tulip seemed like a simple enough flower: 6 rounded petals and one long leaf. I decided that I wouldn't follow a pattern, and chose to rely on my imagination. The flower, unfortunately, didn't turn out to be as simple as I thought. I started beading before I looked at pictures of tulips up close. I realized that the top of the petal is actually wider than the bottom. In order to compensate for the fact that I had beaded the flower the other way around, I ended up having to turn all the petals upside down.
As for the leaf, I knew it was going to be large; and, I'm also fairly certain the one I have here is too small. I used size 10 Czech beads for the leaf as opposed to the 11/0 Toho treasure beads used for the petals. The Czech beads enabled me to finish more quickly, and gave the leaf a more natural, less delicate look. The leaf broke, unfortunately, so I substituted artificial foliage made from paper.
This was certainly a fun and interesting project, but I will try to plan ahead more next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this flower, I'd like to know how to make it......

Anonymous said...

Wow I love your work! They are all so beautiful. Is there any where I can learn these?